Thursday, July 21, 2011

4 years

Four years ago today you were born.  While most mom's remember every little detail of their child's birth I remember almost nothing of yours.  In fact, I didn't actually get to meet you or see you on the day you were born... it was a few days before my doctors would allow me to move from my bed and visit you in the NICU.  But I do remember the pictures your nurses brought me.  Pictures of you on that first day.  As soon as I saw them I knew you were a keeper :)


Caleb, there were so many things about the day you were born that I didn't expect.  I didn't expect you to be born 6 weeks early, I didn't expect to have an emergency c-section, I didn't expect to not be with you during your first days of life, I didn't expect that I would not be the first one to feed you, I didn't expect that we'd both stay in the hospital for weeks but rarely get to see each other, and I didn't expect that you would be born into a season of such sadness.

But Caleb, you have exceeded all of my expectations.  In all of my wildest dreams I couldn't have imagined someone as smart, funny, silly, adorable, cool, sweet, creative, caring, and hilarious as you.  Everyday, I am so proud to be your mama.

So even though the day you were born wasn't all it should have been... today we will celebrate because you are such a special gift.  I love you.  Happy birthday.

12 comments:

Amy Smith said...

Much love to you, dear friend. It was wonderful to see you when you were here - but I wish we could have had some more time to visit, just you and I. I hope your day of celebrating is fantastic!

Kirsten said...

Well said Elissa!! Been thinking of your family frequently this week. Happy Birthday Caleb!

Bonnie said...

Beautifully written. Happy Birthday Caleb. You are indeed one special little boy! Hope you have a fantastic day celebrating!!

Jamie said...

Happy birthday Caleb - from your cousins too! We will celebrate with you when we get back!

Anonymous said...

God has blessed you with that adorable boy! He is a treasure.

Bernice

Leanne said...

Happy Birthday to a very special little boy who many people prayed for fervently. Enjoy your celebrating!!

Lindsay said...

Happy 4th Birthday, Caleb!

Trev and Rebekah said...

Happy Birthday Caleb. So glad we could be there to celebrate you today!

Elissa, great post again. Though he was born into a season of sadness I love how much joy and energy your little man has. He's a gift.

Anonymous said...

Caleb, you are great gift to your parents, and a great gift to your grandparents, too. We celebrate your life. In a time of great loss, you represented great gain. Hope. A sense of future. You'll never really know what it meant to hold you in those first tenuous weeks--and probably we'll never quite understand those first weeks either. When the world fell apart, God gave our family a baby. Again. Today, far away in Australia, we give thanks to God for you, and will belatedly celebrate your birthday when we return.
Grandma & Grandpa T.

Carol said...

A beautifully written post - Happy Birthday to Caleb.

Dan and Lynn said...

Happy belated birthday Caleb! What a beautiful post, Elissa:).

kelly ens said...

amazing, Elissa.
Happy birthday to Caleb!