Sunday, June 26, 2011

Stripes and other fun

Ever so slowly I'm putting up curtains in this house.  The curtains that came with the house quickly became drop cloths when we began to paint.  For the past few years I've had empty curtain rods up all over the house.  As you will recall, I made some roman shades for the kitchen and bathroom windows (I even did up a little old tutorial for you all).  More recently, I made some pinch pleated drapes for the office.  And well, since I'm on such a roll, I figured I should just keep going.  So over the weekend I made these...


A couple of months ago I was in Fabricland... child-free... glorious :)  And I found this striped fabric for... wait for it... $3.50 a yard!  Amazing deal... and who would have thought I'd find something I like at Fabricland?!  I knew it would make awesome curtains... so I snatched up a couple yards.  Instead of having the stripes run vertically, I decided to have them run horizontally because I like the look so much better.  This did require me to make a seam down the middle of each panel-- so I ended up lining the curtains so the seam would not be as noticeable.

I actually made the curtains for the window in the downstairs guest room (this is why they aren't hemmed)... but since the room is such a mess (let's just say it looks more like a storage locker than a guest room at the moment) and needs to be painted yet, I decided to hang my new curtains in our bedroom upstairs so that I could enjoy them for a while :)  They look okay in our room... but the cream stripes are a bit too creamy against the white bedding.  One day they'll be moved downstairs... but they work upstairs for the time being!


Blue and green... I'm slowly adding color to the rooms upstairs!!


I love the reflection of the curtains in the mirror Doug made for the other side of the room...


And here's a picture for my Dad.  While I'm sure he's excited about my new curtains... let's be honest, the real reason he reads my blog is to see pictures of the grandkids :)  So here's a cute picture of my little lady when she woke up from her afternoon nap.  She may look cute and sweet in this picture...


...but she's actually filling her pants.

4 comments:

Trev and Rebekah said...

Your posts make me smile! When you get a chance I'd love a copy of the pictures of the boys and the men from our visit with you guys! The day after we were at your place Isaiah needed to paint a Masterpiece here too.

Anonymous said...

You're right Elissa! While I'm proud of your creativity (you got that trait from your Mom, not me)and the curtains look fine, I love the pictures of my grandkids! Filling her pants or not, Emerson sure is cute! I can't wait till you're all here in just over a week's time!
Dad

Jamie said...

Nice curtains, Elissa!
Nice poop face, Emerson.
Miss you guys :)

Bonnie said...

I love the curtains! So classy. Nice work once again!!