Sunday, May 22, 2011

They live up to their name


One day I had a craving for blueberry muffins... really GREAT blueberry muffins.  So I did a bit of poking around online and found this recipe.  They live up to their name-- they truly are the best. ever.  I've been making them over, and over, and over again.  My poor waistline.  Here's the recipe... so that you can give them a try if you dare.


Blueberry Muffins—best ever

Ingredients
         1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
         3/4 cup white sugar
         1/2 teaspoon salt
         2 teaspoons baking powder
         1/3 cup vegetable oil
         1 egg
         1/3 cup milk (I used Almond milk)
         1 cup fresh blueberries (I used frozen, but I'm pretty    sure fresh would be incredible-- maybe when I don't have to pay $5 for a teeny tiny basket)
         1/2 cup white sugar
         1/3 cup all-purpose flour
         1/4 cup butter, cubed (used vegan becel instead)
         1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon

Directions
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease muffin cups or line with muffin liners.
Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, salt and baking powder. Place vegetable oil into a 1 cup measuring cup; add the egg and enough milk to fill the cup. Mix this with flour mixture. Fold in blueberries. Fill muffin cups right to the top, and sprinkle with crumb topping mixture.
To Make Crumb Topping: Mix together 1/2 cup sugar, 1/3 cup flour, 1/4 cup butter, and 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon. Mix with fork, and sprinkle over muffins before baking.
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven, or until done.

Sidenote-- this makes a small batch of muffins... at least for me.  I like muffin top (preferably on muffins only-- although a few more batches of these babies and I might start to look like my baking) so use jumbo muffin liners and fill em up right to the top.  Delish.

4 comments:

carleigh davey said...

i can't stop chuckling over here 'cause of your "i like muffin top" comment.

my husband just asked me why, so i read it to him.

he said my sense of humour is getting worse with age.

Bonnie said...

Definitely going to try these. YUM.
And I agree with Carleigh... I too laughed pretty hard at your muffin top comment. You're hilarious :)

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Elissa, this is the best blueberry muffin recipe. "to die for" as it is called where I found it. Funny too that I just made them last night (hungry boys) although I used Saskatoon berries which don't bleed color into the batter as much. Enjoy your blog. Linda (Hague)

Hannah Bailey said...

Soo tempting. I requested mom to make these for me and the kids. It's definitely a winner.

Hannah
Website