Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My Big Little Girl... and My Big Helper


Emerson had her two month shots this morning.  She definitely did not enjoy them, but calmed down really quickly and is now peacefully sleeping in her room.  She was weighed and measured before the immunizations were administered... and the results are in!!  She now weighs 12 lbs 12 ounces and is 23.5 inches long (she weighed 7-13 and was 20 inches long at birth in case you're wondering).  That puts her in the 81st percentile for height and the 85th percentile for weight.  Her stats totally blow my mind when I think back to how small Caleb was.  He only weighed in at 8 lbs 10 ounces when he was 2 months old.  He was so tiny!



Awww... look at my cute little cherry pie :)

Caleb came along with me this morning.  I'm still feeling pretty sick and miserable, poor Emerson was getting poked with the needles, it was an early morning appointment-- one of those morning where I really needed him to be on his best behaviour.  And he totally blew me out of the water today.  Last night I told him about Emerson's shots and how he would need to be a helpful/supportive big brother.  At 5 am this morning I heard him waking up in his room-- I was NOT happy.  He's still functioning according to Saskatchewan time so I had some sympathy, but 5 am is still 5 am... too early!  I went into his room and explained that today was Emerson's important day and that he needed to stay in his room so that she could sleep a little bit longer.  He accepted this line of reasoning and went on to sing every song he knew for an hour and a half in bed.  Then he fell asleep.  Until 8 am.  I'm smiling as I write this.  Then he went on to happily do everything I asked of him, the first time, not the tenth time I asked.  He happily went to the bathroom, changed into his clothes, ate his breakfast, cleaned up his toys in the living room, and then went on to make his bed (more like "make his bed"-- Caleb style:).  He was determined to be a helpful big brother.  He even told me that he thought I should have another baby because he's decided that he wants to have two sisters.


When we arrived at the clinic, he wanted to be a part of the action.  He was right there when Emerson was weighed and measure-- cheering her on.  When we went into the room he sat still in his chair-- then went on to pepper the nurse with every question imaginable.  Why does Emerson need a needle?  Why does it go in her leg?  Why are you taking Emerson's sleeper off?  Why is Emerson crying?  Why?  Why?  Why?  Oh the poor nurse... Caleb can stump just about anyone nowadays.  He really wore out the flight attendants on our flights over the weekend.  But the nurse gave him a monster truck sticker and that seemed to distract him for a while.  Caleb has happily been playing with his legos since we got home so that I could take care of Emerson.  I am so proud of him.  He has his moments (like all kids do) but he loves his little sister and is taking his role of "big brother" very seriously.  Let's see how things go for nap time :)


4 comments:

{ as we know it } said...

This last picture is killin me!! Haha ...
So glad Caleb was such a great big brother for you today ... Oh and I agree with him - you should probably have another baby - ASAP ;). Just jokes

KDees said...

yeah, that last photo is priceless! Great post - don't you love it when these normally crazy little boys actually listen and obey? especially on days when you really need them to? Oh, it's bliss!!

Trev and Rebekah said...

Oh those shots are no fun. Way to get back to sleep Caleb. We've come up with new rules here that the first thing our son needs to do is go pee in the morning and make his bed. He's doing it and it's wonderful! Let's hang out some time this week or next.

Dan and Lynn said...

Such cute photos!! Your kids are adorable, and it's so good to hear that Caleb is a wonderful big brother:).